Birdwatching Riviera Maya, not many people realize that The Riviera Maya more specifically Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve is a great spot for bird watching.
When is this tour available?
- All year round any day 24/7.
- This is a half-day tour but we can do multiple days by request.
Top Birdwatching Cancun TripAdvisor Reviews
Great bird watching morning
We had a lovely morning watching birds with our Guide Carlos. He brought two extra binoculars for us and really good sandwiches and soda. Allthough we are total greenhorns in birdwatching he took his time and showed us all the birds patiently. He knew them all by name and immediately. We saw about 50 different lovely birds.
Great Birding Experience!
Everything planned was well executed and incredibly enjoyable. Anyone who enjoys bird watching, from the beginner to the expert would find this to be a highlight to their vacation. Jose was our guide. He picked us up at the hotel and took us to several locations to scout out possible endemic and/or rare species.
More reviews on TripAdvisor!
Where is the birding spot located?
The tour main birding location from The Riviera Maya is:
- Sian Kaan Natural Reserve.
- 15 minutes from any hotel in Tulum.
- 45 minutes from Playa del Carmen.
- One and half hours from Cancun.
Is a guided Tour?
- Yes, by Locals birdwatching experts.
- More than 10 years birding & guiding in the area.
- I took us a while to select the best birdwatchers for this tour.
Along with our knowledgeable birding guide, you will experience a unique birding tour in the middle of the Mayan jungle.
Hiking in old roads immersed in the jungle to observe a wide variety of bird species migratory and endemic.
Every year thousands of migratory birds arrive at the Yucatan Peninsula and in addition to the marvelous endemic species of the area.
Your private guide will show you the best spots to catch a glimpse of these birds close to Tulum at Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, as well as give explanations about the jungle and its unique flora and fauna.
Itinerary from Riviera Maya
- 5:30 hrs Van pickup starts from Riviera Maya hotels.
- From Cancun hotels pickup will be earlier
- 6:00 hrs Arrival to birding spot.
- 6:15 hrs Hiking in the jungle.
- 8:00 hrs Binrdwatching near Muyil Archaeological site.
- 9:30 hrs End of hiking and binrdwatching.
- 10:00 hrs Transfer to Hotel.
- Arrival to hotel depends on your hotel location.
What’s included during tour?
- Private comfortable A/C van transfer round trip.
- Private birdwatching guide.
- Express breakfast(Coffe, breath & fruits).
- Beverages( soft drinks, sodas & water).
- Languages English and Spanish.
This is a short list of 16 potential birds you can see in this tour (depends on the season)
- Orange Oriole / Icterus auratus Endemic
- Rose-throated Tanager / Piranga roseogularis / Endemic
- Yucatan Jay / Cyanocorax yucatanicus Endemic
- Yellow-lored Parrot / Amazona xantholora Endemic
- White-bellied Emerald / Amazilia candida
- Ruddy Ground-Dove / Columbina talpacoti
- Vaux’s Swift / Chaetura vauxi
- Cinnamon Hummingbird / Amazilia rutile
- White-fronted Parrot / Amazona albifrons
- Greenish Elaenia / Myiopagis viridicata
- Couch’s Kingbird / Tyrannus couchii
- Green Jay / Cyanocorax yncas
- Tropical Gnatcatcher / Polioptila plumbea
- Clay-colored Thrush / Turdus grayi
- Summer Tanager / Piranga rubra
- Painted Bunting / Passerina ciris
- Hooded Oriole / Icterus cucullatus
This tour is available all year round.
Groupal rates for private tour service.
Minimum of 2 pax per reservation.
- 1 pax $ 165 USD (Minimum per booking 2 pax)
If you have more than 6 pax or looking for more than 1 day birding in the area please contact us we can provide the best deal for you.