Tikin Xic is prepared with a firm white fish, usually Grouper, Drum, or a local variety from the same families (for example Mero).
- Wash the grouper, pat it dry with paper towels, and salt and pepper it.
- Mix the achiote paste and bitter orange juice, spread the mixture over the fish, and let it marinate for 3 hours.
- Place the fish on the softened banana leaf (or foil) and arrange the bell pepper, chile, tomato and onion slices on the fish; sprinkle with oregano, olive oil and beer.
- Wrap the banana leaf or foil around the fish and place it in an oblong baking dish.
- Bake the fish in a 350º oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until it flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- In the Yucatan, this is served with purple onion slices marinated in olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Serves 4.